Friday, May 19, 2006

Mathematical puzzles

Just over two weeks ago, a post at IT Tutor attracted my attention. It was about Project Euler at mathschallege.net. To quote from Project Euler introductory page:
Project Euler is a series of challenging mathematical/computer programming problems that will require more than just mathematical insights to solve. Although mathematics will help you arrive at elegant and efficient methods, the use of a computer and programming skills will be required to solve most problems. Please be warned that the problems are challenging and you are unlikely to make much progress if you have no knowledge of programming. Having said that, this is both the perfect environment and opportunity to learn new techniques and refine your programming skills.
At first I wasn't quite enthusiatic about it. But after solving 2 problems I thought, "Wow! I could learn a couple of things if I continue solving the given maths problems". To date, I've solved 21 problems using Python as my programming language of choice. There are a lot of difficult maths questions which I've yet to figure out how to solve - which I believe require a good understanding of mathematics fundamentals - and my last encounter of mathematics academically was during my schooling days :)

No comments: