Thursday, May 25, 2006

Learn to program in ten years

The first time I read Peter Norvig's essay titled Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years, I don't give much thought about it. Today, I've re-read and started to ponder my own progress over the years in achieving hacker's enlightenment.

The one that struck me was the similarity in my own experience in attempting to learn and grasp what I've learn. Like him, I've read numerous books, howtos, FAQ and other documents, yet I still feel like a novice. So what really went wrong? Why I'm still feel I'm at the same level as I was 2 or 3 years ago? Well, Peter Norvig certainly had given all the pointers but I failed to recognize them 2 years ago.

However, in my effort to learn, it's better late than never. The pointers he had laid out in the essay must be taken seriously.

No comments: